We are often asked about the differences in models of heat presses that we manufacture, and we have many marketing pieces and comparison charts that point out the features of each Hotronix press that we offer. However, what it really comes down to is “What type of heat press is right for your business?” I was going to address this but I realized that Josh Ellsworth has already written an excellent blog posting on that very topic, titled New Heat Press Comparison Guide: Style. You can read the whole posting by clicking here.
But here is the part I thought was most important for most of you out there: Josh writes:
So after this review the question is, what heat press is best for your business?
Let’s get specific…
Doing lots of screen printed transfers? Go with the auto open.
- Reason: Screen Printed transfers require minimal layout and can be pressed at a faster rate with the Auto Open Clam. Since the nature of screen printed transfers is screen printing, I’m making the assumption that you will do mid-sized runs and this press will keep .
Doing lots of numbers and letters? Go with the swing away/draw.
- Reason: Letters and numbers take a little more time to lay out and you’ll quickly appreciate the over the top visibility of the layout space without the heat in your face or close to your arms.
Doing Sublimation? Go with the swing away/draw.
- Reason: The auto open press sometimes creates a vacuum like seal that causes a ghosting of sublimation transfers. Also, the swing away will allow for accommodating thicker items typically printed with sublimation such as plaques.
Curing for DTG? Go with the auto open clam.
- Reason: You’ll appreciate the auto open functionality on the longer dwell times, so you won’t have to stand by the heat press. Also, there is no alignment needed for this process.
Doing a bit of everything? Take your pick.
- My personal preference is the Hotronix Fusion. I don’t mind the extra steps to complete an application for the convenience of being able to line everything up without the heat. If you watch any amount of the videos I’ve done, you’ll see me using the Fusion about 80% of the time.
And keep in mind if you are higher volume shop or have the budget for the best of all worlds, consider the Hotronix® Air Fusion™ which allows for full automation and a heat free work space! Video here.