If you are looking for one of the fastest, easiest ways to create a high quality, high fashion retro-look garment, heat printed felt lettering is the way to go. Although it is one of our oldest and the most traditional lettering materials, there are so many of you out there that have never tried felt lettering. Perhaps you think of felt as something that is only for use on school pennants, or craft items or felt banners. Or retro baseball uniforms. Felt lettering is what GroupeSTAHL grew up on–the original name of Stahls’ ID Direct was in fact Stahls’ Felt Stamping. We still have one of the original kick presses that was used to die cut the felt into letters and numbers back in the day…But that’s a story for another day. Here are some facts about felt:
1) Stahls’ felt lettering has our famous permanent polyester adhesive on the back (the same adhesive which is on our world-famous Thermo-FILM). Which means you can heat print it on all types of cotton and cotton/poly blend fabrics and it will stick without having to be sewn. However, many people like the look of sewn felt and choose to sew it. When felt is sewn, a single stitch is usually used.
2) Felt gives you a texture and high quality feel that you don’t get with film heat transfer materials or screen printing. It is comparable to and is a lower-cost alternative to embroidery or even chenille.
3) Felt can be combined with embroidery, but it doesn’t require sewing in order to prevent fraying, as twill does.
4) You can easily create retro looks in minutes with a kit of felt lettering on hand, in either Pro Block or Varsity. Or you can order custom cut script or other custom lettering and logo styles.
5) Felt lettering is a classic on caps.